Rohitakarishta (also spelled as Rohitakarishtam) is spleen protective medicine in Ayurveda. It is useful for the treatment of splenomegaly (enlarged spleen). There can be several underlying conditions that can cause enlargement of the spleen. Rohitakarishta provides relief regardless of the causes. It reduces the toxins developed due to viral, bacterial or parasitic infections. It improves the production of lymphocytes (white blood cells). It pacifies low-grade inflammation of the spleen. It opens the blockage occurring in the enlarged spleen and restores its normal functions.
Home Made Ingredients of Rohitakarishta
- Coarse powder of Rohitaka – Tecomella undulata – 4.8 kg is added with 49.152 liters of water. boiled and reduced to 12.288 liters. Filtered. Thus obtained kashayamis added with the following ingredients –
- Dhataki – Woodfordia fruticosa – 768 g
- Jaggery – 9.6 kg
- Long pepper fruit – 48 g
- Long pepper root – 48 g
- Chavya – Piper cubeba – 48 g
- Chitraka – Plumbago zeylanica – 48 g
- Ginger – 48 g
- Cinnamon – 48 g
- Cardamom – 48 g
- Patra – Cinnamomum tamala – 48 g
- Triphala – Haritaki, Vibhitaki and Amla – 48 g each.
All these are taken in a vessel and kept closed for a period of about one month. In this period, the sugar in the jaggery undergoes fermentation.
Uses of Rohitakarishta
Rohitakarishta is helpful in following health conditions.
- It is widely used to treat splenomegaly and other spleen related problems.
- It is effective in treating abdominal colic.
- Splenomegaly (spleen enlargement)
- Splenomegaly in malaria
- Anemia associated with the enlarged spleen
- Bloating or Abdominal distension
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- It is useful in skin diseases, inflammatory conditions, and anorexia.
- Beneficial in anemia.
- Hepatomegaly (liver enlargement)
- Chronic loss of appetite
- Generalised edema
- Heart disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Dosage of Rohitakarishta
|The general dosage of Rohitakarishta is as follows.|
|Children (above the age of 5 years)||2.5 to 10 ml|
|Adults||10 to 30 ml|
|Maximum Possible Dosage||60 ml Per Day (in divided doses)|
|Doses: Twice a day with the equal amount of water|
|Best Time to Take: After Food|