Mustharishtam is a very effective Ayurvedic medicine. It is a liquid product. Bittersweet in taste. Mustarishta is used to treat digestive complaints like diarrhea, indigestion, etc. It is also known by the terms – Mustakarishta, Mustarishta, Mustarishtam, Mustakadyarishta. It increases the secretion of gastric juices and corrects the liver functions. It is well known Ama Pachak in Ayurvedic medicine, which prevents toxins (AMA) formation from the undigested food particles. However, it is an appetizer, but it also increases the burning of fat due to its digestive action, so it is given to improve the digestion of fats. The obese people should increase the intake of fruits, vegetables, and salad if they experience the increase in appetite after taking Mustharishtam.
Home Made Ingredients of Mustakarishta
Mustakarishta is a fermented liquid preparation, made with ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 percent, and not less than 5 percent of alcohol that is self-generated in the preparation over a period of time.
- Mustaka (Musta) Cyperus rotundus Rz. 2.4 kg
- Jala for decoction Water 12.2880 liter reduced to 3.072 liter
- Guda Jaggery 3.6 kg
- Dhataki Woodfordia fruticosa. Fl. 192 g
- Yamani (Yavani) Trachyspermum ammi Fr. 24 g
- Sonth Zingiber officinale Rz. 24 g
- Marica Piper longum Fr. 24 g
- Lavanga (Devapushpa) Syzygium aromaticum Fl. Bd. 24 g
- Methi Trigonella foenum-graecum Sd. 24 g
- Vahni (Chitraka) Plumbago zeylanica Rt. 24 g
- Jiraka (Shveta Jiraka) Cuminum cyminum Fr. 24
- Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;St.=Stem;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud.
- Guda Jaggery 3.6 kg
- Musta – Cyperus rotundus – 9.6 kg
- Coarse powder of Musta is added to 49.15 liters of water, boiled and reduced to 12.288 liters. Filtered. This Kashayam is added with
- Jaggery – 14.4 kg
- Dhataki – Woodfordia fruticosa – 768 g
- Yamani – Trachyspermum Ammi – 96 g
- Ginger – 96 g
- Pepper – 96 g
- Clove – 96 g
- Fenugreek seeds – 96 g
- Chitraka – Plumbago zeylanica – 96 g
- White Caraway seeds – 96 g
Method of Preparation of Mustakarishta
- Take the raw materials of Pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and crush the ingredient numbered 1 (Kvatha Dravya) of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain a coarse powder.
- Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 5 to 11 (Prakshepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain a fine powder.
- Add the specified amount of water to the Kvatha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through the muslin cloth to obtain Kvatha.
- Add the ingredient number 3 of the formulation composition to the Kvatha, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth.
- Transfer the filtrate to a clean container; add Dhataki and other finely powdered Prakshepa Dravya. Seal the mouth of the container.
- Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of the fermentation process.
- Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth.
- Pack in airtight containers and allow for maturation.
Biomedical Action of Mustakarishta
- Antidiarrheal – Gives relief in diarrhea.
- Antidysenteric – Prevents and treats dysentery.
- Antioxidant – Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antispasmodic – Used to relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Appetizer – Improves appetite.
- Astringents – Constrict tissues; styptic.
- Carminative – Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Constipating – To cause constipation.
- Digestive – Digestant.
- Stomachic – Stimulates gastric activity.
Health Benefits of Mustharishta
- It is a deepan (increases the digestive fire).
- It is pachan (digestive).
- It improves digestive fire and supports better digestion.
- It improves appetite.
- It is tonic for digestive system.
- It has astringent and anti-diarrheal properties which make it effective in loose motion.
- It helps in vomiting.
- It helps to shed extra weight by lipolytic action. It mobilizes fat from adipose tissues
- and helps in the reduction of obesity.
- It is carminative and astringent tonic.
Uses of Mustakarishta
- Mustakarishta is indicated in digestive problems.
- Digestive impairment
- Work as appetizer
- Digestive problem healer
- Stimulant of Metabolism
- Diarrhea, dysentery and Irritable bowel syndrome with antibiotic use
- Digestive disorders
- Gastro-enteritis with piercing pain
- Malabsorption syndrome
- Loss of appetite
- Loose motion, diarrhea, dysentery
- Malabsorption syndrome
- Malabsorption syndrome in children, poor digestion, diarrhea, low appetite
- Severe diarrhea
- Vomiting and anorexia in children
About the author