Causticum is used often in homeopathic practice, either as an individual remedy or in combination remedies. It is used as a remedy for chronic disease, wound healing (including second- and third-degree burns), and to increase energy levels as demonstrated in ten provings.
Causticum was evaluated using acute and chronic inflammatory models in vivo. The administration of concentrated Causticum solution into the hind paw of rats produced an inflammatory reaction with oedema formation within the first hour, showing that Causticum acts as an oedematogenic agent. Carrageenin-induced rat paw edema was significantly inhibited (P<0.05) in the group treated with Causticum 30cH solution compared to control. Groups treated with potentized Causticum (6cH, 12cH, 30cH, and 200cH), showed significant inhibition (P<0.05) of the inflammation pre-induced by carrageenin. However, pre-treatment with Causticum 30cH for 6 days (0.5 ml, daily) did not significantly inhibit granulation using an implantation method.
Uses / Indications of Causticum
- Urinary Disorders – Causticum is a major homeopathic remedy for urinary disorders, including urinary incontinence in the elderly and bedwetting in children. The person may need to urinate frequently, or the urine may be retained due to temporary paralysis. They will also have difficulty holding in their urine, especially during running, sneezing, coughing, or laughing. The remedy is also used for cystitis with a strong urge to urinate, along with the inability to actually urinate. A loss of sexual pleasure or an aversion to sex is a common symptom when caustic is required.
- Tremors and Paralysis – Causticum is also a popular remedy used for multiple sclerosis, with chronic and progressive paralytic affections of the limbs, eyelids, tongue, vocal cords, bladder, and extremities. There may also be a stutter, particularly at times of anger or excitement. There may also be dizziness with a lack of coordination. Paralysis or facial neuralgia is also common, especially on the right side of the body. Slow-developing paralysis is common as well. Furthermore, severe or minor seizures and serious convulsions may occur. There is also a susceptibility to twitching and jerking in extreme circumstances.
- Respiratory Disorders – Causticum is also used for respiratory problems, including sore throats, coughs, and laryngitis. A cough tends to be deep and dry and causes discomfort and pain in the throat and chest. It may also be difficult to bring up mucus, even when it is needed.
- Hemorrhoids – A study published in the Journal of Intercultural Ethnopharmacology in 2016 found that hemorrhoid patients would improve considerably with classical homeopathic treatment, and causticum was among the remedies used.
- Skin Conditions – Causticum is prescribed for all sorts of skin conditions, including large warts that bleed, easily found on the face, hands, and fingertips, especially near the nails. Causticum is also used for slow-healing burns, blisters, boils, herpes, eczema, and acne.
- Tinnitus – Causticum is often given for the ringing, roaring, and rushing sounds associated with tinnitus. The person will also hear noises, steps, and words, as well as a cracking sound from turning their head. Symptoms improve from rising and lying down; however, symptoms worsen from cold drafts and at night.
- Fibromyalgia – Causticum is the preferred remedy for fibromyalgia when joints and muscles become sore and stiff from overuse and the dry and cold weather. The joints and muscles also feel contracted, while symptoms are improved from warm applications.
- High Blood Pressure – A study published in the journal Homeopathy in 2014 found that individualized homeopathy would improve 80% of essential high blood pressure patients. Causticum was among the most useful homeopathic remedies chosen for the study.
- Tremors – The Importance of Causticum cannot be understated in severe issues like paralysis and tremors. The dropping of the eyelids and a stutter in speech are the most common symptoms. Causticum acts as a natural remedy for these problems and seizes their symptoms.
- A sore Throat – If you are facing hardship in swallowing or if there is any choking sensation in your throat, Causticum has got you covered. Not only in soreness, but it is also helpful in dry and raw throats. It can cure chest pains due to asthma or some other disease.
- In Cough – Causticum gives amazing results against a deep and dry cough, which causes pain in the throat and chest. At times, you feel difficulty in bringing up sputa even and sometimes you can bring it up, but can’t spit it. This herb can help you with such troubles. It can be effective if you experience shortness of breath and ache in the left hip while coughing.
- In Skin Connected Problems – Causticum also acts as a homeopathic remedy for scars that do not heal effectively, warts that are found particularly on the eyelids, nose, and face and that bleed easily, and burns that lead to the blister. It also helps in conditions like acne rosacea.
- In Aphonia – If you feel a loss in voice, accompanied by pain in the chest, then don’t worry; Causticum has marked action against this situation. In medical terms, this condition is termed as ‘aphonia’ which is rawness and soreness in the larynx and throat caused due to the exposure to cold air. In addition to this, Causticum is also beneficial against hoarseness of singers.
- Cure of Insanity – Causticum can cure mental curiosities of the passive kind, but not the acute madness with violent ravings. It is beneficial in situations where the brain becomes tired due to prolonged sufferings and extending spells of trials and tribulations. Initially, the patient discovers that he is unable to do anything and then feels that something is going to happen.
- Against Rheumatism – Causticum is also a vital remedy for rheumatic symptoms. It is crucial in curing rheumatism of the joints with stiffness, shortening of muscles and contraction of flexor tendons.
Dosage of Causticum
- Adult and children 2 years of age and older: Dissolve 5 pellets under the tongue 3 times a day until relieved or as directed by a doctor.
- Adults: 4 drops into a tsp. of water 3 times a day.
- Children: 1/2 dose. Repeat at greater intervals as condition subsides. Or as directed byaic.