Did you know that besides protecting your eyes from sweat and moisture, your eyebrows make it easier for people to recognize you? In one interesting study, participants had more difficulty recognizing celebrities from morphed images when the celebs had no eyebrows than when they had no eyes.1 That explains how important your eyebrows are to your appearance and why it’s a cause of concern when you start losing eyebrow hair.
Excessive loss of eyebrow hair can indicate health conditions like hypothyroidism or madarosis. It can also indicate you are or were under stress or have protein and vitamin deficiency. An autoimmune condition called alopecia areata can also be responsible for the loss of eyebrow hair.2 In all these cases, you would also see a loss of scalp hair. It’s wise to visit a doctor to identify the underlying health condition, but meanwhile, you could also try these natural remedies for thicker eyebrows.
1. Castor Oil
While there is no clinical study to back its effects, castor oil is traditionally considered one of the most effective remedies to grow your eyebrows thicker and faster. It nourishes the hair follicles and promotes hair growth.
- Soak a cotton swab in pure castor oil and apply it to each eyebrow.
- Massage your eyebrows gently with your fingertips for 2–3 minutes.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- You can do this once a day, probably every night before bedtime.
Coconut oil has nutrients like vitamin E and iron that can promote thick and healthy hair growth. Moreover, coconut oil, loaded with the fatty acid called lauric acid, can easily penetrate the hair and prevent any protein loss.3 As you well know, protein is the foundation of good hair. And if you apply coconut oil on your hair, then you should apply it on your eyebrows, too. You can also add a bit of ashwagandha root powder with the coconut oil to make the hair root stronger.
- Take a few drops of coconut oil and massage your eyebrows gently with your fingertips.
- Massaging improves the blood circulation, which helps promote hair growth.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Rinse with lukewarm water the next morning.
- Continue this for a few months, and you can notice the difference.
You can also use olive oil to thicken your eyebrows. Like coconut oil, olive oil has a fatty acid called oleic acid, which can penetrate the eyebrow hair root and lock in moisture. It is also rich in vitamin E, which helps promote hair growth by stimulating the growth of capillaries. When the capillaries are healthy, blood circulation is enhanced. This is good for promoting healthy and strong hair growth.
- Take a few drops of olive oil and massage your eyebrows gently.
- You can either leave it overnight or wash it off after 30 minutes of application.
- Alternatively, you can mix olive oil and a few drops of honey. Massage it for a couple of minutes.
- Wash it with lukewarm water.
- Doing any of these once a day will improve your eyebrow growth.
Not only are they a part of a healthy diet, onions are also great for hair growth. Onions are rich in antioxidant flavonols and sulfur – an essential mineral in hair. In a study on patients with alopecia areata, onion juice was applied to the scalp and massaged into areas where hair growth was minimal. After following this method twice daily for 4 to 6 weeks, 86.9% of the participants experienced new hair growth.4 If alopecia areata is the reason behind your sparse eyebrow hair, give yourself an onion therapy.
- Grind an onion and extract the juice.
- Massage this juice onto your eyebrows for 5 minutes.
- Allow it to dry on its own.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- This can be done twice a day for a month.
Eggs are rich in protein and the hair needs proteins for its growth. While the egg yolk does not have as much protein as the egg white, it has a considerable amount of vitamin D, which is also essential for hair health. Egg yolk also contains some sulfur.
- Break an egg and separate the yolk from its white. Make sure to use only the yolk of the egg.
- Beat the yolk until you get a creamy consistency.
- Take a cotton swab and apply it to your eyebrows.
- Leave this on for 15–20 minutes. Later, wash with cold water.
- You can do this twice a week.