Spigelia anthelmia is an herbaceous species of the Loganiaceae family. Commonly known as “erva-lombrigueira”, it is popular as a human medicine in Brazil based on its various properties, including action against gastrointestinal nematodes. In vitro and in vivo studies have confirmed the efficacy of S. anthelmia in controlling H. contortus however, despite the great diversity of compounds present in plants, only secondary metabolites have been noted for being responsible for such biological action. In addition to offering evidence for the anthelminthic activity of S. anthelmia extracts, identification of active protein compounds can improve extraction efficacy, thus reducing cost.
The rapid development of anthelmintic resistance, associated with the high cost of the available anthelmintic drugs, had limited the success of gastrointestinal nematodiasis control in sheep and goats and thus awakened interest in the study of medicinal plants as alternative sources of anthelmintics. Spigelia anthelmia extracts obtained with hexane, chloroform, ethyl acetate or methanol, were tested on Haemonchus contortus eggs and larvae via egg hatch and larval development tests.
Uses / Indications of Spigelia
- Angina pectoris
- Ciliary neuralgia
- Exophthalmic goiter
- A headache
- Rectum, cancer
- Constipation, Frantic
- Spigelia anthelmia is a homeopathic remedy commonly used to treat the Left-sided pain of head, face, and eyes – the pains increase and decrease with the rising and setting sun.
- There can also be watering of the eye on the affected side.
- Patients needing this remedy are often worse from motion, noise, inspiration or moving the eyes, and especially in cold, damp, rainy weather.
Dosage of Spigelia
The appropriate dose of pink root depends on several factors such as the user’s age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for pink root. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.
- Remove the tongue overthrow the single-dose tube and gently pull the cap.
- Remove all granules of the dose under the tongue.
- It is advisable not to touch the fingers homeopathic granules.
- The globules of single-dose tubes are absorbed at once by letting them dissolve slowly under the tongue.
- Without a single dose, take 10 granules in the same dilution.
Side Effects of Spigelia
- Data or Information not available