Hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent and can as well be used to lighten hair at home. You only need to be keen on how you do it. Here are procedures on how to lighten hair using this ingredient.
- Wash your hair as normal and condition it, part it dry with a towel and not necessarily blow drying. Allow it to dry naturally for 30 minutes and gently comb it. This helps in the removal of oils and dust that can interfere with the bleaching process.
- Find where to buy hydrogen peroxide 3% solution and mix with an equal amount of water. A more concentrated solution than this can damage your hair. Put the solution in a clean spray bottle. Go through the steps on how to lighten dark hair with hydrogen peroxide before you begin the process.
- Perform a strand test as explained above. This will help you to determine the intensity of the outcome. Apply hydrogen peroxide on a small lock of hair using a cotton ball and give it time to make a change.
- Use hair clips to make your hair into sections. This will enable you to apply the hydrogen peroxide solution effectively on every strand of your hair. Doing the whole head at once may leave some sections or strands unaffected.
- If you intend to bleach the entire hair, use the spray bottle to apply the solution. Make it thorough and ensure you are combing the sections you have clipped for even distribution of the compound.
- If you want to create natural highlights, use a cotton ball wet with hydrogen peroxide to apply the solution into the hair strands that are intended to be highlighted. For more natural silky appearance, start the application at the roots as you stroke down to the hair tips.
- For bringing ombre hues, apply from the tips as you stroke down the roots for the sections that you desire. At the end of the treatment, the tips will appear brighter as it fades towards the dark roots.
- Let the hydrogen peroxide act on your hair for about 30 minutes. Remember the outcome on how does hydrogen peroxide lighten hair will depend on the amount and the time you have allowed the solution in your hair. You can spend few minutes in the sun if you want the process to be faster.
- When you have attained your desired shade of highlights, now use cold water to rinse off hydrogen peroxide solution from your hair. Condition it deeply and rinse with more cold water. Let the hair to dry then make your desired style.
- Process on how to lighten dark hair using hydrogen peroxide requires you to be more patient and keen on timing to avoid cases of brassiness.
How to Lighten Dark Hair Naturally with Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a strong natural bleaching agent. It is not only used for skin lightening but also for natural hair lightening. To use this treatment observe consistency and patience. Here are steps on how to lighten your dark hair with lemon juice.
- Obtain a lemon fruit. One might be enough for medium length hair, but take two if your hair is super long.
- Cut the fruit into two halves and squeeze the juice into a clean container like a cup.
- You can opt to apply the juice directly to your hair using a brush or you can mix with warm water and spray using a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on your hair until it is dump. Note that for better results; do not wash your hair before spraying and you will be amazed on how lemon juice lightens hair fast.
- Find sun to activate the bleaching and sit for about one hour. You should start observing the changes after the first 30 minutes.
- After the changes now take shower to wash off the juice from the hair. Your hair will appear dry due to the effect of citric acid just after your natural treatment on how to lighten dark hair.
- Dry your hair and apply a conditioner to rejuvenate it from the dryness effect of lemon juice.
- Remember one session of application is not sufficient enough to give you the desired outcome.
- Repeat for approximately four to five times to realize what does lemon juice do to your hair.
- You can also combine a mixture of lemon juice and conditioner and apply directly on your hair before sitting in the sun for bleaching.
While using this process, remember that you require sunlight. However apply sunscreen to protect your skin against sun burn effects of UV and UVB radiations from the sun. Take care to avoid direct contact of the ingredients to your eyes and the scalp since it is irritating.
As mentioned earlier, do not expect instant outcome. The hair changing process can take time and you will observe color changing in stages. Dark brown hair is likely to turn to light brown then golden blonde. Dark blonde will change to light blonde and light red hair to brown or blonde respectively.
How to Lighten Dark Hair Naturally with Honey
Honey has been proven effective in lightening dark hair especially when combined with hydrogen peroxide or other natural ingredients. Apart from bleaching using this ingredient on your hair gives it not only a beautiful appearance but also a soft shiny look.
Here are the steps on how to lighten dark hair naturally with honey.
- Mix honey and distilled water in a ratio of 4:1. This helps to dilute honey since it is always too sticky. Add some apple cider vinegar to act as a conditioner. Alternatively you can mix with your favorite hair conditioner.
- To boost the honey bleaching effect, add little amount of hydrogen peroxide which is an effective hair lightening agent.
- Give the mixture some time to settle as you carefully go through the instructions on how to lighten dark hair with honey. With your shoulders protected with a piece of cloth, pour the mixture on your hair as you use your fingers to distribute it evenly.
- When your hair is completely covered with honey, cover it with a plastic wrap or cap and allow the reaction to take some time. The best time to do this is overnight for more effective outcome but protect your beddings from the staining effect of honey.
- Using some warm water, wash honey out of hair and pat it dry with a towel. It is good to let it dry at room temperature with no need of a blow dry.
- Use shampoo and hair conditioner as normal and your hair will not only attain golden hues of honey but look soft, shiny and bright.
- You can alter the appearance by adding specific ingredients. For reddish blonde color hues add cinnamon, henna or ground coffee.
Natural Ways To Lighten Your Hair
Honey is a great food for your hair. It nourishes and enriches your hair. Since honey is sticky, add some water to loosen it up. This process helps in easy application. Get some of the best honey on the market here.
- 1 cup of raw honey
- 1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of distilled vinegar
- One tablespoon of ground cardamom or cinnamon.
- Add some henna powder or ground coffee for a reddish orange hue. For a strawberry blonde hue add hibiscus petals.
- Mix all the ingredients together and allow it to sit for about 30-60 minutes. Then apply onto wet hair. Use a brush or comb to apply it evenly. Otherwise, you can apply it wherever you want the highlights.
- Cover your hair with plastic and allow the honey to sit for two hours. You can also leave the honey overnight to have a lighter color. This process helps in the deep conditioning of the hair. Wear a shower cap while you sleep. Wash the honey out of your hair and use a hydrating conditioner for a healthy bounce.
- Multiple applications may be required before the results are evident. So keep trying to get the desired look. The best part is that all are natural products and are totally safe.
Lemon juice is one of the oldest and most effective hair lightening techniques. Lemon juice was used by women hundreds of years to get the gorgeous bleached locks. It will lighten dark blonde or light brown hair and will not leave reddish tones unless you already have them. Check out this lemon juice we tasted and worked perfectly.
- Large lemons- 3
- One tsp of ground cinnamon
- Two bags of chamomile tea
- One tablespoon almond oil or coconut oil
- An empty spray bottle.
- Due to its acidity, Lemon juice can dry out your hair. This cocktail of natural ingredients will help to hydrate your hair.
- Boil 1 cup of water and add the tea bags. Allow it to steep for a few minutes. Squeeze the lemon juice and add it to the spray bottle. Add the cinnamon, almond oil and brewed tea. Close the bottle and give the mixture a good shake. Spray it on the areas you would like to lighten and bask in the sunlight. The sun’s rays will enhance your lighting effect.
Chamomile gives a beautiful golden tint to your hair. These pretty daisy-like flowers will make your brown hair 2-3 shades lighter. If you have blond hair chamomile will make it brighter.
- Steep 4 chamomile tea bags in one cup of hot water for 20 minutes.
- Take 2-3 tbsp Of natural yogurt. Mix it with the brew.
- Apply the hair mask and cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Leave the mask for one hour. If you have brown hair, leave the mask for 2 hours.
- Shampoo and condition your hair as normal.
- Chamomile rinse
- Steep 5 chamomile tea bags in 2 cups of hot water.
- Allow the water to cool.
- Rinse with Chamomile tea after you have shampooed and conditioned your hair.
- Pour the water in a small bucket and with a mug keep pouring it onto your scalp. Make sure you catch the rinse into your bucket.
- Let your hair dry naturally after this rinse.
If you don’t know what rhubarb is, it is technically a vegetable but legally a fruit. It is harvested in the spring with a short season that spans from April to June. This plant has a 3000-year-old history of medicinal and cosmetic use.
The root of this ancient plant can be used as a lightning agent for blonde or light brown hair. Rhubarb is known for its high concentration of oxalic acid, and this serves as a fixative.
So a rhubarb rinse will last much longer than most herbal rinses. It is a good choice for summer. You can get rhubarb in your local health store or farmer’s market. According to herbalists, the strongest rhubarb dye comes from the medicinal species.
- Chop the rhubarb root if you have the fresh ones.
- Simmer 3 to 4 tablespoons of dried rhubarb root or half a cup of fresh ones in a quart of water for 20 minutes.
- Boil this in a stainless steel covered pot.
- Avoid breathing the steam. Let the ingredients steep overnight and strain the decoction in the morning.
- Wash your hair as usual and then pour the rhubarb dye through your hair and catch the liquid in the pan. Repeat two or three times. Air dry your hair without further rinsing.
Cinnamon is a great lightning agent. You can mix cinnamon powder and conditioner and leave it for a couple of hours and then wash it off.
Cinnamon powder to lighten hair
- Honey- 3 tablespoons
- Cinnamon powder- 4 tablespoons
- Olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Mix all the ingredients together to get a smooth paste. Apply the mask to damp hair and cover the head with a plastic bag. Leave the mask on for 1-2 hours. Wash off with any mild shampoo.
Cinnamon and egg yolk to lighten hair
- One egg yolk
- Organic honey three tablespoons
- Fresh lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon powder- 3 tablespoons
- Olive oil- 1 tablespoon
- Whisk egg yolk with lemon juice
- Melt honey and mix all components well.
- Apply the blend to your hair with massaging movements.
- Cover your head with a shower cap. Leave the mask for one hour and wash it off with any organic shampoo.
- You can also use kefir, cinnamon powder, and fresh lemon juice to lighten hair.
- Use color protecting shampoos and conditioners.
Additional hair health tips
Use purple shampoos and conditioners to maintain and enhance the blonde color.
- Use sulfate-free shampoos.
- Avoid chlorine.
- Use heat protecting products before using styling appliances.
- Get deep conditioning treatments to get smooth and lustrous hair.
- Use leave-in treatments with UV absorbents.
- Shampoo your hair less frequently.
- Apply hot oil treatments to your hair.
- Maintain a healthy diet.
- Use less heat on your hair whenever possible.
- Regularly trim your hair.
- Green, Athlyn (April 25, 2008). “Lighten Your Hair Using Hydrogen Peroxide”. Beyond Jane. Retrieved April 25, 2010.
- Hot Hair Color Trends for Women”. Guillermo’s Salon. 3 April 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- Macizzio, Giovanni (18 April 2016). “Balayage”. Honeepedia. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- Gallery and How to Leopard Hair Print”.