Vinpocetine drug is a synthetic alkaloid derived from the periwinkle plant (specifically, synthesized from the molecule known as ‘vincamine’) that appears to have a track record of usage in European countries for the treatment of cognitive decline, stroke recovery, and epilepsy. Vinpocetine is also commonly used as a nootropic compound in the hopes that it may promote memory formation.Vinpocetine is a synthetic derivative of the vinca alkaloid vincamine (sometimes described as “a synthetic ethyl ester of apovincamine”), an extract from the lesser periwinkle plant.
Mechanism of Action of Vinpocetine
Vinpocetine acts as a phosphodiesterase (PDE) type-1 inhibitor in isolated rabbit aorta, Independent of vinpocetine’s action on PDE, vinpocetine inhibits IKK preventing IκB degradation and the following translocation of NF-κB to the cell nucleus. Increases in neuronal levels of DOPAC, a metabolic breakdown product of dopamine, have been shown to occur in striatal isolated nerve endings as a result of exposure to vinpocetine. Such an effect is consistent with the biogenic pharmacology of reserpine, a structural relative of vinpocetine. However, this effect tends to be reversible upon cessation of vinpocetine administration, with full remission typically occurring within 3–4 weeks.
Vinpocetine has been reported to have cerebral blood-flow enhancing and neuroprotective effects
Indications of Vinpocetine drug
- Improve memory, long- and short-term
- Enhance alertness, awareness, and preparedness
- Act as a neuroprotector
- Prevent or reverse ischemic (lack of oxygen) damage to brain, muscle, liver, and elsewhere
- Diminish senile cerebral dysfunction
- Prevent or relieve hearing loss due to various causes
- Prevent or relieve tinnitus (ringing/buzzing in the ears)
- Prevent or relieve vertigo (dizziness)
- Improve night vision
- Improve wound healing of eyes due to burns
- Prevent or relieve glaucoma
- Prevent or improve age-related macular decline
- Diminish atherosclerotic plaque
- Improve cardiac output and nutritive blood flow to various organs
- Improve dilation of blood vessels
- Increase the flexibility of red blood cells
- Scavenge toxic metals in the body, such as aluminum and lead
Contra-Indications of Vinpocetine
Dosages of Vinpocetine drug
- Most studies showing positive benefits from vinpocetine have been done at amounts of 10 to 30 mg/day, and some at 40 mg/day.
- All studies done at 30 mg/day showed additional benefits compared with lesser daily amounts.
- Depending on your body chemistry, you could start with 10 mg/day and work up, or you could start with 30 mg/day.
- My suggestion for most people is work up to 30 or 40 mg/day over a couple of weeks or more. Too much, too soon of many supplements can disrupt normal intestinal flora (bacteria) and most commonly cause gastrointestinal upset or diarrhea
Side Effects of Vinpocetine
The most common
- Dry mouth
- Low blood pressure
Drug Interactions of Vinpocetine
Possible Decrease In Anticoagulation Effect With Warfarin.
Pregnancy & Lactation of Vinpocetine
Vinpocetine can not be used in pregnancy& Lactation.